Naturopathic doctors are experts in natural medicine and healing. Their approach to wellness, recovery, and bodily health focuses primarily on natural means. However, this doesn’t mean that they separate completely from traditional medicine.
Naturopathic doctors tend to use a combination of traditional medicine and natural healing, as well as botanical medicine, traditional Chinese medicine, and other forms of natural medicine.
For a more holistic approach to wellness and health, schedule a consultation with a naturopathic doctor today. Rather than simply treating symptoms, naturopathic doctors use a variety of medical practices to help a person achieve their optimal health.
What is the Difference Between a Naturopathic Doctor and a Medical Doctor?
Here at Port Orchard Natural Medicine, we practice naturopathic care to achieve wellness, weight loss, and hormonal balance. As a naturopathic care provider, we often get the question, what is the difference between a naturopathic doctor and a medical doctor?
This is an excellent question! Here are some of the defining differences between medical and naturopathic doctors so that you can decide which one you need.
- Practice: naturopathic doctors prefer natural medicine and remedies over synthetic options. Whereas medical doctors prescribe a wide range of medications and treatments, naturopathic doctors do their best to stick to what is natural. An example of this from our clinic — instead of using artificial HRT hormones for our hormone replacement therapies, we use bioidentical hormones that have the same chemical makeup as hormones produced by the human body.
- Approach: naturopathic doctors don’t only focus on the issue at hand. Instead, naturopathic doctors have a holistic approach to healing. Naturopathic doctors understand that in order to help a person achieve their optimal level of health, they need to treat the whole person, instead of just playing whack-a-mole with a patient’s symptoms.
What Remedies Do Naturopathic Doctors Use?
Here are some of the most common remedies that naturopathic doctors use to promote holistic health and wellness.
- Botanical medicine: this includes herbal and plant-based supplements and oils such as those that have been used in traditional Chinese medicine for centuries. Bioidentical hormones are another example of botanical medicine, as these hormones are created from plant estrogens.
- Hydrotherapy: as the name suggests, this naturopathic procedure involves water in the forms of compresses or bathing.
- Overseeing detox or weight-loss diets: while this may come as a surprise, naturopathic doctors are very involved in weight-loss and management procedures.
- Digestive health improvement: many Americans suffer from chronic digestive health issues. While relying on current medical practices for relief and healing finds many disappointed, turning to naturopathic means often does far more for patients.
Get in Touch With a Naturopathic Doctor Today
If you are sick and tired of feeling sick and tired, it’s time you got in touch with a naturopathic doctor. Here at Port Orchard Natural Medicine, we blend conventional medicine with holistic practices. We are focused on overall wellness and want to use our services to help you on your healthy living journey.
Dr. Rachel Robertson, owner, and director of our clinic underwent medical training at an accredited naturopathic university (Bastyr University) in Washington. To find out how you can improve your health through natural means, contact Port Orchard Natural Medicine today.