Have you ever heard of hormone replacement therapy for menopause? This modern method of managing undesirable symptoms quickly gains popularity thanks to its effectiveness, convenience, and lack of side effects.
Our experts at Port Orchard Natural Medicine share everything you need to know about hormone replacement therapy for women, from how it works to what benefits you can expect.
Hormone Pellet Therapy for Menopause
Menopause hormone therapy comes in many different forms, but the most popular is pellet therapy. As the name suggests, this treatment delivers hormones directly to the bloodstream through pellets inserted beneath the skin.
Pellets for menopause are a convenient way to get the hormone doses you need without taking a pill every day or applying a cream. They are also very effective, as the hormones are released gradually over several months.
Types of Hormone Therapy for Women
Other common forms of hormone therapy for women include:
- Oral pills. Estrogen pills are a commonly prescribed type of hormone replacement therapy for menopause. They’re easy to take and widely available, but they can cause side effects like nausea and bloat.
- Skin patches. If you prefer not to take hormones orally, you can apply them directly to the skin in the form of a patch. They usually cause fewer side effects than pills, but they may cause inflammation or itchiness in rare cases.
- Vaginal estrogen. This hormone therapy can help with vaginal itchiness, dryness, or painful intercourse. It comes in the form of a cream, tablet, or ring you or your doctor inserts into the vagina.
- Topical estrogen. Topicals like gels, sprays, and creams are popular ways to apply estrogen directly to the skin. They are generally well-tolerated, but they can be messy to use.
Benefits of Hormone Pellet Therapy in Menopause Treatment
Hormone pellet therapy for menopause is a highly effective way to manage or even eliminate undesirable symptoms. Its benefits include:
- Reducing the number and severity of hot flashes
- Reducing vaginal dryness
- Minimizing bone loss
- Easing emotional symptoms like irritability and mood swings
- Helping with sleep issues
- Increasing energy levels
- Decrease your risk of ailments like dementia, stroke, and heart disease
- Boosting sex drive
- Improving mental clarity and memory
Aside from these general benefits, we can tailor hormone therapy to your specific needs and goals. For example, if you’re struggling with weight gain, we can prescribe a lower dose of estrogen to help you lose weight.
The procedure of Hormone Replacement Therapy for Women
Hormone replacement therapy for menopause is a simple outpatient procedure that we can perform in our office. Here’s what you can expect:
- Consultation. Our experts will discuss your medical history and symptoms to determine if menopause treatment is the right option.
- Pellet insertion. We will inject the pellets into the fatty tissue just beneath the skin on your hip, buttocks, or upper arm. They are very small, so the insertion is quick and painless.
- Recovery. Expect some redness and soreness at the injection site, but this will resolve quickly. Most women resume their normal activities immediately after the menopause hormone replacement session.
- Follow-up care. We will see you for a follow-up visit in four to six weeks to assess your response to treatment and make any necessary adjustments.
Hormone pellets for women last for several months. After that time, you can schedule another pellet insertion to maintain your symptom relief.
How Common and Safe is Hormone Pellet Therapy?
Thanks to hormone replacement therapy, menopause doesn’t have to be a time of hot flashes, night sweats, and mood swings. The only reason why some might hesitate to undergo hormone treatment for menopause is because of potential health risks.
However, the truth is that hormone pellet therapy for menopause is a prevalent and safe treatment option. Most women report excellent results with very few side effects.
In rare cases, hormone replacement therapy for menopause can cause bloating, nausea, mood changes, and breast tenderness. However, these symptoms are usually mild and temporary.
Hormone Replacement Therapy For Menopause From An Expert
Hormone replacement therapy for menopause is an excellent way to manage undesirable symptoms and improve your quality of life. Unlike other treatment options, hormone pellets provide long-lasting relief with few side effects. It’s also much more convenient because you only need a few treatments per year.
If you’re struggling with the side effects of menopause, we encourage you to schedule a consultation with our experts. At Port Orchard Natural Medicine, we will work with you to address your specific symptoms and goals. Contact us today to get started!