Weight management includes different techniques and physiological processes that contribute to an individual’s ability to attain and maintain a certain weight. These techniques may include long-term lifestyle strategies that promote healthy eating and include daily physical activity.
Weight loss management is a key element for individuals to ensure that they maintain a healthy lifestyle, helping to avoid chronic diseases and other ailments that can affect one’s quality of life. By finding a weight loss program, one can better understand how to have a balanced lifestyle.
What are Weight Loss Programs?
Weight loss programs can be surgical, non-surgical, and medical. Many are nutritionally balanced and designed to meet the nutritional needs of the individual, whilst not being overly restrictive. In this way, one can easily stick to the program, as it is designed to support long-term weight loss.
Different types of weight loss programs
Surgical weight loss programs
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: In this procedure, surgeons remove the outer section of the stomach. The smaller stomach that remains looks like a narrow sleeve, which reduces how much food the stomach can hold by 75 percent. This treatment also affects the hormones that control appetite, meaning that individuals will feel less hungry after having the surgery.
- Laparoscopic gastric bypass surgery: Surgeons reduce the size of the stomach by about 90 percent, resulting in a smaller stomach that remains, looking like a pouch that’s about the size of an egg. The new stomach pouch is then connected to a lower point in the small intestine, so that food bypasses the upper part of the small intestine. This surgery is effective for weight loss as it limits how much food the stomach can hold and changes how food is absorbed.
Non Surgical weight loss programs
- Endoscopic weight loss: Endoscopic weight loss procedures are non-surgical procedures that are performed using an endoscope, which is a thin, flexible tube that is inserted through the mouth. It allows the doctor to view one’s digestive system and perform procedures without making any surgical incisions through the skin.
- Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty: This procedure involves the use of an endoscope with an attached suturing device. This is used to place sutures in the stomach that creates folds. These sutures shrink the stomach, resulting in the stomach holds less food, and individuals will feel fuller faster and stay full for longer.
- Endoscopic gastric plication: This procedure uses an endoscope with a plication device to fold the stomach in on itself to make the stomach smaller and shorter. This too makes individuals feel fuller faster and stay full for longer.
- Intragastric balloons: In this weight loss option, a silicone balloon is placed in the stomach using an endoscope, and then the balloon is filled with saline. As the balloon takes up space in the stomach, the stomach holds less food helping one to feel full. The balloon is then removed after 6 months and there is no permanent change to the stomach.
Medical Weight Loss Program
Medical weight loss programs involve the guidance of a licensed, health care professional, such as a medical doctor, nurse, or nurse practitioner.
Medical weight loss programs are known as a patient-centered approach that consists of nutrition training, behavioral counseling, rehabilitative exercise, education, counseling, and sometimes medication, which is all conducted by a physician. All these elements combined assist individuals in achieving their goal weight.
What Are The Benefits of a Medical Weight Loss Program for Health?
More weight loss
Individuals that partake in medical weight-loss programs are known to lose 3% to 5% more weight than those who choose to direct and monitor their weight loss.
Lifestyle changes and improved results
Medication that is approved for weight loss leads to greater weight loss and more successful maintenance when it is paired with lifestyle modifications and changes that create a general shift towards healthier living.
Improvement in medical problems
Medical weight loss programs can reduce the severity of sleep apnea and decrease inflammatory markers that predict chronic disease.
More effective treatment
When an individual loses weight under physician supervision, they have greater access to a range of treatments provided by referrals to dieticians, bariatric surgeons, and exercise physiologists.
Contact Port Orchard Natural Medicine to Find The Weight Loss Solutions
For the best weight loss programs call us today at Port Orchard Natural Medicine for a free quote or contact us via our convenient online form or call our team is ready to assist you on your journey to a healthier and happier lifestyle.